Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wednesday

Today the Lord gave more peace. Tho Joyce had a few times of agitation and discomfort, it wasn't as pronounced as yesterday. We've begun administering her meds every 2 hours now instead of every 4. Her blood pressure continued to drop today - 98/50 - so her body is much slower in absorbing the meds. Again we thank God for all the wonderful ladies who have taken round the clock shifts to sit in our bedroom and watch over and pray for Joyce. Noelle and her fiance, Paul, have been with me also for the past couple of weeks. And even with all the help, we are presently fighting mental, emotional and physical exhaustion. We were preparing for her departure a week ago and she just wasn't ready to let go.

Joyce still hangs on this evening - just an amazing drive to survive in my sweetheart. Mercifully, she hasn't been as distressed today - increasingly disoriented but not as fearful.

Noelle, Paul and I have been going for walks in the evening and tonight's was quiet and contemplative for the three of us. We were just lost in our thoughts. I know her passing isn't far away - but at times it seems like what we're enduring will never stop - I know down the road we'll no doubt look back at this time and see it as fairly quick and even now I'm thanking God for His mercy.

I try to think about life without her and it's like hitting a forcefield - I can't imagine it. She is still here and my heart will not allow me to go past today.

I did hear the results of my CT scan last Friday. Bottomline was some obstruction/constricting of the colon but no evidence of cancer. Surgery is an option but not an immediate necessity. I will be setting up an appointment with a surgeon to discuss the pros and cons of surgically removing the problem area - in the meantime, as many of you my age are dealing with, NO nuts, seeds, popcorn, corn, etc. and high fiber. Maybe I'm gonna need to learn how to cook :-)

So as we get ready to go thru the 10th nite of Joyce's journey to glory, we pray again for the Lord's mercy upon her. The chorus of Greg Fadness's song, Might be Today come to mind:
"It might be today I look into Your eyes; Might be today I see Your face; Might be today You place Your wounded hands; On my tear-stained face, it might be today!"

In His Arm's, Pat

14 comments:

  1. This is a short poem that really spoke to me of the loss but glory about to come:

    Surrounded by friends
    yet all alone
    the one I loved
    God has called home

    the hugs of friends
    helps ease the pain
    and I know my loss
    is my loved one's gain

    but tears now flow
    across my face
    as I long for just
    one more embrace

    then comfort comes
    and I see Christ's face
    He hugs my loved one
    and I feel God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,
    Pastor Mike wanted me to tell you as he is recovering form his surgeries that he is praying for all of you and so am i. Joyce is a fighter and her holding one might just to be spending a few more days with the man she dearly loves. i pray she is having as little pain as possiable even though i am not there know that i am with you and please keep me informed. I love you guys so much and miss you too
    Guy Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pat and family,

    We heard from Ivan last Friday that you had a blog. We have been reading it since then. Our hearts aches for your family. Our memories go back to the donut church and of the joy to be brought into the Lords fold by the Lord working through you. Even now, reading your blogs, there is teaching and example of enduring the storm. We love you and continual to pray for your family. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your heart with us all.

    Give Joyce a kiss and tell her we love her.
    Chuck & Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat.....

    Every day we watch and wait with you to see when our dear sister and friend in Christ, Joyce, will be in His Arms. Our hearts ache for you and your family. We may not be there with you, but please know that we are praying for you and your family.

    Everything we wanted to express to you has been said already by another brother or sister in Christ. However, we can't tell you enough what an inspiration Joyce, you and your family has been to us during this sad time in your lives. It has taught us that having FAITH and TRUSTING in a loving GOD must be the race we run here on earth every moment of our lives. As I learned at our last Women's Retreat, HE needs to be our MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION!

    We love you guys. May HE keep you wrapped in His Loving Arms.

    Praying and waiting with you....Bob and Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Angel Gomez FamilyJune 28, 2007 at 8:51 AM

    Dear Pastor Pat, Joyce and family:

    What a beautiful poem that was shared. I know that you have a church family who loves you more than I bet you ever imagined. It is an understatement to say that it must be very difficult sharing the most intimate details of your life with all of us. It is so helpful to us for you to know that we are all with you supporting, encouraging and loving each and everyone of you and your family. I know when Dad passed, we felt it a great honor to have you and Pastor Mark there with us. God Bless You All. We will continue to pray for peace for Joyce. We love you all soooooo much.

    May God continue to keep you in his loving arms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. big brother,
    i had come to the point of just saying may YOUR will be done LORD. a couple of songs come to mind: GOD will make a way; and imagine. thank you bro for the courage you have in CHRIST that you have shared with me specially and continually. may HIS comfort, peace and understanding be upon you as you go through this journey to life everlasting with joyce. please give her a hug from us.
    boy, jane, bj and janalei in California

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I looked upon the beautiful stars, glistening so bright, I thought on heaven and life eternal.
    I pondered how we had arrived at such a place of strong faith, and how we had fallen in love with a man named Jesus, who changed our lives and thoughts forever.
    We have not seen or touched Him in the person yet we believe, love, and experience His reality of existence.
    Much love, prayers, and tears come forth because Joyce touched so many lives, by being an open vessel and allowing Christ to shine through her, she gave love, compassion, and a smile that warmed your heart no matter what you we're going through.
    Thank you Joyce for showing us how to live out the word of God.
    You will be missed,
    Deborah
    (Romans 8:37-39)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was strongly on my family's heart last night to pray together for your family. This update is an encouraging answer to prayer. We'll keep praying - it works. And that's a great praise report about your health. Will keep that in prayer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat, be strong and of good courage, for the LORD is on your side. When the time is right, Jesus will come for Joyce; meanwhile, remember to breath.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat,Jordan, Noelle and Paul,

    You are exhausted in every way imaginable, yet each of you has been so gracious and loving with every single person who has stopped in, whether scheduled to help or an unexpected visit. What sweet love fills your home!

    May God continue to give each of you just what you need, moment by moment, day by day.

    He is our strength! Amen!

    Love and prayers,
    Jeff & Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just know we love you both and we can't say it enough. As stingy as I am, I pray the Lord will do his will. There is good coming from this sad time even if we don't know or see it. Joyce, you are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Some beautiful comments tonight. Since I speak to Teresa P. daily, I am kept updated on Joyce. I wish we could all hold you in our arms and love you, Pat and family. But we have our Lord for that, don't we? Thank God for that!Rest peacefully Joyce. We love you so....
    The Older Pilbin's

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat,
    What a privilege for Joyce to be surrounded by the love of her youth as she leaves this time-secured place and crosses into eternity. You have done an honorable job of fulfilling your vow to her pledged so many years ago. She has truly been blessed to have had her husband beside her throughout her years on earth.
    With much admiration, and in Him forever,
    Katherine Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Pat & Noelle & family
    I have been following your blog site to see how things are progressing with Joyce and we can only pray with you and for you both that she will slip away to join her Lord. It will still be hard after she has gone and you will still need all the love and support you are getting now.My big regret will be that I havent had the privelege to have met Joyce but our love and thoughts are with you all Love from Charmian & David

    ReplyDelete