Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Troubling day! 6-26

It's a little past 10 on Tuesday evening. My bride does not want to go. Today was more of a fight of the will it seemed. She was weaker physically but more active mentally - and that is so difficult to watch - I think because when we hear her voice and can get a response of some kind to a question, our hearts leap for more - yet we know the process of dying is continuing - and our hearts keep breaking. Those of you following along on this blog know that we were preparing for Joyce to leave us a week ago. She had taken a horrible turn downward and then sort of leveled out at this mysterious place between this life and the next.

Our nurse said that after 4-5 days of similar vital signs, this morning she showed a drop in her blood pressure. With circulation becoming more difficult, the medications for pain and anxiety can become less effective - a condition that usually occurs in the final day or two before passing.
It seemed that Joyce's meds were not keeping her comfortable thru most of the day. She had a few times of laughing and recognizing family but seemed more fearful most of the time. It was like she was calling out to people she knows for help or answers. She had one word questions like "Why?" and "Purpose?" We have increased her meds some this evening and hope she's able to have a calm night.

Many of us would like to think that right before death we'ld see angels or the Lord Himself and that we'ld hear the beautiful worship of heaven and all would be a calm peaceful passing from our old tents into our eternal homes. I haven't seen that yet. Maybe something's going on in the realm of the spirit that niether we nor Joyce can see with our human capacities. But it seems that her body and mind are fighting harder than ever to not let go. When we try to assure her that it's OK to let go she, several times this evening, said "No!" And it leaves us all frustrated that we can't make it better.


Our hospice nurse did say this morning that the changes could acclerate downward very quickly pretty much at any time now. But she could also fight like this for several more days. And it's just not neat and pretty. We wonder at times is it still possible that she could pull out of this? With the Lord we know that all things are possible. We also know God in His purposes allows people to die - He permits the natural process of dying usually without interference. If the Lord were to miraculously heal Joyce she would have greater clarity of thought and begin to desire food and water - so far she has had niether for the past 9 days now. The body adapts amazingly quickly to inceased dosing of morphine - so if the disease was controlled or gone she would be markedly alert and engaging.

Have I lost hope? Let me say clearly that my hope is not in this frail life to continue forever. My hope is in Jesus Who will give eternal life in heaven. So I'm not mad at God for allowing Joyce to go thru all this - I don't like it - I wish it were different - but I know what's on the other side - and I know her pain and fear and doubt today will soon be swallowed up by Life eternal.
We just have to go through this and I pray God will be glorified!

In His Arm's (still)!

Pat and Joyce

17 comments:

  1. Dear Pat,
    You and your family are still in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you are able to get some rest tonight.
    Pastor Pat I know that this has been a difficult time for you and your family to go thru. God is being glorified. I see how many people are being touched by your words and your true devotion to God. We can feel the love you have for Joyce and know the pain you are feeling. We are like you in that we wish that there was something we could do to ease the pain Joyce and you are dealing with. Knowing that we can't;we continue to watch, wait, and pray. I know that she is surrounded by family and friends, but is there any family or a close friend that she hasn't had a chance to say goodbye to. Maybe that is something that upsets her.

    Take care O :-) God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat,

    Barry and I continue to pray for you and Joyce. Our hearts are with you even though we cannot physically be there with you.

    In His Grasp,
    The Poudrier's

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord God of the universe, who simply spoke the world into existence, who can know all that He has planned for us?
    Even in this journey He shows us that we cannot, in our human minds, predict His every move...

    ...and we are amazed as we watch and see.

    He will be glorified.

    Love to you all-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pastor Pat:

    We cannot even imagine the depth of pain you and your family are going through watching Joyce go through this. Our prayers are with you daily, but somehow I am crying out loudly right now for the Lord to please give Joyce His mercy and grace in a way she can clearly comprehend right now! How I long for her to know the tenderness of His embrace during this struggle, whether it leads to continuing on in this life or moving on to be in His sweet presence forever.

    I don't have the answers, but I am so blessed to hear of the love and compassion you have given to Joyce through all of this. I am so inspired by the love you two have for each other, that the last 2 years of watching you two have encouraged me to make changes in my own walk with the Lord and my marriage.

    You have truly lived out "Praise You in This Storm" by Casting Crowns for all of us. The lyrics follow:

    I was sure by now
    God You would have reached down
    And wiped our tears away
    Stepped in and saved the day
    But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining

    As the thunder rolls
    I barely hear You whisper through the rain
    “I’m with you”
    And as Your mercy falls
    I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
    And takes away

    Chorus:
    I’ll praise You in this storm
    And I will lift my hands
    For You are who You are
    No matter where I am
    Every tear I’ve cried
    You hold in Your hand
    You never left my side
    And though my heart is torn
    I will praise You in this storm

    I remember when
    I stumbled in the wind
    You heard my cry
    You raised me up again
    My strength is almost gone
    How can I carry on
    If I can’t find You

    As the thunder rolls
    I barely hear You whisper through the rain
    “I’m with you”
    And as Your mercy falls
    I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
    And takes away

    Chorus:

    (2x’s)
    I lift my eyes unto the hills
    Where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord
    The maker of Heaven and Earth

    Sending your family our love and prayers, The Bell Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pastor Pat,
    Thank you for taking the time to keep us abreast day to day. Although we don't know your family, we know we are family because of Christ and we continue to lift up our dear sister, Joyce, that He will pour His peace, comfort and joy upon her. Also that He will help her relinquish her will to His. In all, may He be praised and glorified! We pray also for you and your entire family to continue strong in the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you pat, and will continue praying for you, Joyce and all of your family.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. That song by Casting Crowns is amazing. I pray for peace and rest for Joyce and comfort for you and your family. You are truly living out your faith!!!!
    The song "I still believe" by Jeremy Camp was written in the hospital after his young wife Melissa passed away. It truly speaks of believing and never giving up on Christ's promises. Sometimes we have to go through things that hurt, but thankfully God is there to hold our hand and sometimes to carry us through. God Bless and comfor you and your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pat,

    The blog I just sent got put over to yesterday. Please read our heart for you and the family.
    I love you more than you know and will be home soon!

    Mark, Bronwen and kids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Continuing to pray for His will, and His perfect peace in both your hearts.
    Love,
    John, Jen, Chris and Charlie

    Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus,that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge,even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you,so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
    1 Corinthians 1:3-9

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Pat, we are praying for God to give you strength,courage,and continued faith that He will sustain you through this trial. As I read your blog I relive my mother's illness before her death. If anyone would have heard angels singing or seen Jesus' face I am almost certain it would have been her. She was our prayer warrior and loved the Lord so much. But instead we were confronted with obstacles, unkind nurses and yes even a few doctors. Not to mention uncooperating siblings and a JW brother. It was heart breaking to see all of this. My poor mom couldn't have a peaceful death. But through all this I know without a doubt the Lord was with us. He was the eye of this horrible storm, He was our refuge and He would never leave us. Just like He will never leave you or Joyce. He loves you so much, He is in your mist right now, comforting and ministering to you through all the people who love you. How blessed we are to have such a loving God. We are praying without ceasing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thinking of everyone & praying....

    -Rachel Stratton/Dotson

    ReplyDelete
  12. In Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego said "we know the God we serve is able to save us, and he will rescue us from your hand...but even if He does not we will not serve your gods". I know that even if he does not rescue Joyce from this you have all done what is right and continue to press on. God will give you that strength to continue in this! WE love you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Pastor Pat ~

    I hope you are also having time to read your "personal E-Mail", because I wrote something private for just you and your precious Joyce and I think (or I hope) you will be blessed by what God has to say, through little ol' me...??!!

    I am so blessed Pat and so is my whole family as my kiddos ask me EVERYDAY: "well, what does Pastor Pat have to say today?" "Is Joyce still with us?" - they say...! Even through tremendous adversity Pat, U are still teaching and seeking to train your flock. Thank you for being so transparent Pat and allowing all of us into your very home and heart....

    Still waiting with you - and will continue to for as long as it takes, He will be faithful... :o)

    Because of Him,
    Deedee and family

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart is so heavy knowing I am losing a wonderful teacher and friend. Joyce has always been so real and down to earth for me, I never felt she was the "pasture's wife". She is just one of us girls and a great joy to be around and learn from. I love her so much and I just ache for her friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If life's difficulties were different for believer vs. non-believer, God would have no need for our input. Yet God values our input and urges His children to contribute their perspective. This trial, adventure, and ever saddening image of a God-fearing, ever compassionate, and ever faithful Saint/Wife/Friend/Servant leaves us wondering why does God do this?
    Who knows, except God? God will cuddle Joyce in His arms and anxiously waits that moment when they can be together, as always intended.
    Joyces life testifies to the love and pure heart she has devoted to the Lord. Her life, as exemplary and sincere as any could imagine, will challenge those she has touched to live uncompromised and purposeful to the end, as she has.
    Yes, she will leave but she will leave us with an example like very few can. For this, we can find gratitude and press on.
    I am so sorry for the loss, the suffering, and the pain she and all near have endured.
    All I can say is Gods peace be with you, and may HE comfort you in this hour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To everything there is a season.
    A time for every purpose under heaven.
    Eccl 3.1

    In Jesus name amen

    ReplyDelete