Sunday, February 8, 2009

When will it stop?

When will it stop? I think that's a very common question expressed by many who are going thru seasons of suffering, illness, or loss. When I'm hurting it seems it will never go away - it will never get better. A very limited narrow perspective for sure, but also a very powerful influence on the quietness, peace and steady trust in the Lord, which is our constant possession as believers.

I'm gaining greater empathy for people who suffer with chronic or constant pain. My ordeal isn't as gnarly as what many good and godly people have to endure. But I am learning as I go thru my own bouts of abdominal pain from my surgeries and blockages that God is right here with me. Not causing my pain but holding me and seeing me thru it day after day. 

I've come to the point of "discussing" with God the possibility that I might be dealing with this pain and discomfort and inconvenience for a long time - maybe for the rest of my life. And if that's the case, how will I still serve Him? What will my ministry consist of? I'm not resisting those possibilities anymore - just wondering how I will need to adapt and humbly asking for His wisdom, strength, and patience to do so.

When will it stop? Maybe it will and maybe it won't. Either way, His love and care remains constant and deep and eternal. And that's the place we really grow. Help us Lord to walk close to you every day - and when the storms and tragedies of life seem to nearly knock us off our feet, may we remain confident that You are holding us and you will never let go!

In His Arm's,

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment