Friday, March 27, 2009

Oblique

Those of you who have endured debilitating illness or injury know how "forever" the season seems in which you are not in good health or in reasonably full strength. When pain increases and sustains you wonder if you'll ever be 'normal' again. In most cases, the body does heal, but often not at the pace you would like. And the older one gets the longer the healing process takes.

I often forget what I've been thru and just expect that today I'm gonna feel a lot better and the worst is behind me. The result of that 'forgetfulness' is an assumption that I can do all that I used to do, at the pace I used to do it without consequences. One would think that after suffering the horrible 4 year battle of my wife's cancer and then losing her that emotionally I might be a mess - for a long while.

One might also surmise that my own medical challenges of six hospitalizations and four major abdominal surgeries in less than two years might seriously impact my physical and mental stamina. Then another might conclude that after moving on from my pastoral position of 27 years serving the same church and people I loved that I might be facing a serious identity crisis.

Add to that, pushing 60 years of age and now discovering I have a severe transverse oblique muscle strain/inflammation on my lower right side that may have some tearing as it transitions into my abdominal tendons causing severe stabbing pain with minimal exertion - and you might conclude that I'm a total basket case and just ready for the Lord to take me home! 

All the above are reasonable assumptions - and at times I have felt everyone of them - sometimes all of them at once - and it's not a pleasant place. As most of you know who have been following this blog I have often shared just what I was dealing with... and you all have been so faithful to pray and encourage and not write me off as a confused and depressed whiner. Thank you :-)

Going home to be with the Lord and all the brethren that have gone before will surely be beyond ecstasy! But the fact and reality is - it's not over - in fact, it's likely far from over, I will recover from all this and life will go on, richer, deeper, and humbler than ever before. A dear friend shared these verses with me a couple of days ago:

Ps 27:13-14 "I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord!"

Ps. 40:1-5 comes to mind as well. Look it up - it's a good one!

So all this to say that I, and all my brothers and sisters who may be hurting from one crisis or another, need to look up and see the goodness of the Lord in the midst of their fog of pain and discouragement. He is still Lord, not just in the sweet by and by but in our very stark and real land of the living.

I do have an appt. with my surgeon's office this Monday evening. Please pray for them - that they might effectively guide me thru what's necessary to heal up from this muscle injury (and the previous surgeries). And pray that in the meantime, in the process of healing, I not lose heart but see the goodness of the Lord thru it all. Pray also that I have the courage and humility to heed the direction given and take the time needed to heal properly.

In His Arm's,

Pat

3 comments:

  1. AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! THANK YOU FOR BEING SO OPEN AND WILLING TO SHARE!
    GOD IS GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you, Pat, and the Fergusons are praying for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pastor Pat:

    You can always count on our family to love and pray for your every need. The physical and emotional pain that you are going through feels like it is happening to us along with you. You know how much your church family loves you and stands by you with all that you have been through. It is understandable that you must feel a great deal of frustration, but we have a God who knows what and why these things have to happen. We surely wish that we could just pray them away. When you hurt, so do we. We love you so much and can only remind you how much you are loved by your flock. We will always be your flock. 27 years of your love and devotion to us will never be forgotten. Where would any of us be without your love and commitment to teaching God's word to all of us.

    We thank God for you and your testimony, we will always, always keep you near and dear to our hearts. We wish we could bear your pain, but we hope that knowing Angel's family loves you and will always hold a very special place in our hearts for you. You helped us through our darkest hours with your love and support. On Valentines day it was four years since our daddy passed and went home to be with the Lord. We still miss him and know we will be together again one day but for now we have much work to do and beautiful daughters to raise to love and serve the Lord the way their Grandfather did. What an example he left for his beautiful wife, children and grandchildren (especially Emily and Angelica whom he helped raise during their most critical years). He is not a man who could be easily forgotten. I am quite certain you feel the same about your beloved Joyce.

    Please know that we are here to do anything we can for you, anything at all. Please let us help you the way that you helped us.

    May God hold you so tightly in his loving arms for us and rebuild your strength and spirit. Keep the faith dear Pastor Pat, you are always with us in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there sweet brother, God will see you through this too.

    With all our love and God's blessing we pray all these things in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. AMEN!!

    In Christ's love,
    The Gomez Ladies

    ReplyDelete