Friday, June 27, 2008

Ps. 128

29 days till surgery! Seems like this past week just overflowed with fellowship and opportunities to encourage. Thank you Lord! In the midst of a time of remembering all that happened last year, God has been gracious to allow me lots of time with friends. About a week ago I read thru all my blog and journal entries from this time last year. It hurt and I broke, but I decided reading it every day wasn't necessary. And the Lord has kept me busy every day. Here are a few thoughts I had reading thru Psalms today:

I was reading the Psalms of Ascent this morning and settled for a while on Ps. 128:1. It says, "Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways." This is a bottom line, foundational reality for all who know and follow the Lord! We all want to be blessed, right?
We all want to be settled and happy. The Hebrew word for "blessed" here means to be happy, fortunate, to be envied. Not in a way of sticking our noses up in the air thinking we're better than everybody else. But rather, living a life that is so full of joy and love and peace that others who don't have that desire it - because it's real in our daily lives.

The verse goes on to reveal the key to that happiness, that blessedness, and it is to be living a lifestyle that fears the Lord and follows His commandments. I need to fear the Lord daily! Not in a sense of cowering in fear - tho His awesome, mighty power and authority could rightly demand that - but fear here has the sense of reverential awe and worship. I want to reverence the Lord at all times and in every situation I find myself in, I need to be able to worship Him!

I believe "walking in His ways" is a non-negotiable premise for being blessed. Therefore, when we are walking in His ways and loving and worshipping Him, our lives are sure to be blessed. Even if or when outside circumstances are difficult. This is an inward blessing that keeps the believer steady in the storms and an outward blessing of a fruitful life. We can find ourselves in a heap of trouble if we try to handle things our way rather than His way!

Ps. 119:2 says, "Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with the whole heart."

May we do just that today! May we seek Him with the whole heart, all day long...and be blessed!

In His Arm's,

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment