Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

In seasons of grief one must navigate the holidays - can't ignore them, just have to face them and create some new memories. God has His ways of going before us as we face these events. He did so for me yesterday. I celebrated Thanksgiving with my daughter and new son in law at home. Having just gotten home from 6 days in the hospital and still in a lot of discomfort, I was unable to attend our usual large family gathering at one of the relatives home and I think the quietness helped helped me deal with both the pain of surgery and my wife not being here. In a way, going thru this surgery has softened the ache of missing my beloved Joyce. Having to deal with my own physical issues sort of balanced my emotions and I was able to get thru the day and enjoy it as well.

Even in loss we all have so much to be thankful for. I am keenly aware of how blessed I am. To have family who love an care for each other is a priceless gift. To have friends and coworkers who are so thoughtful and understanding is also a treasure not to be taken for granted. To have a church family and a living relationship with the One, True, Living God really ties life together! In Everything give thanks!

In His Arm's,

Pat

4 comments:

  1. You were in our thoughts and prayers Thanksgiving and so happy to hear that you were able to spend it with Noelle and Paul. Day by day it will get better and before you know it everything will be back to normal as normal normal can be without Joyce.
    We really missed the annual Thanksgiving card that she would send to us even when she was as sick as she was. Funny what things stick in your mind that you miss.
    We love you Pat and pray you get well soon.
    Mike & Mira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pator Pat you are so right. We do tend to forget how blessed we are to have family and friends we care about our well being. I remember meeting a woman who had been married for 50 years and whose husband was dying from testicular cancer...she had no family only collegues, she had been a Cardiologist in her younger years. I remember what she had said to me, this was almost 16 years ago,but it made an impact on me and I still think of her...she said,"My husband is dying and I don't have any children, I don't even have a small dog to keep me company when he dies." My heart just went out to her and I have never forgotten that. How blessed you are to have family, friends and people from the church to hold you up in prayer. I'm sure there are so many hurting people out there who have no one to hold them up in prayer.
    We are praying for your quick recovery from surgery.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back last night from a week vacation in Texas for Thanksgiving with the in-laws. I was glad to hear this morning that you're able to do more than I thought you would. I'm also glad to read that you had a blessed Thanksgiving with family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Angel Gomez FamilyNovember 27, 2007 at 4:37 PM

    Dear Pastor Pat:

    You have been in the thoughts and prayers of so many, especially this family who all love you so much. The holidays are unusually difficult missing our loved ones. I know all the firsts seemed to be the most difficult. Wish we could tell you that they get easier, still patiently awaiting for that. The Thanksgiving message you delivered via Pastor Miles' video camera was bittersweet. It is not easy to watch our loved ones suffering physically as well as emotionally, but we know our Awesome God is holding your hand. This family knows all too well the physical trauma that your body has been through having gone through it with Rosemarie. May God grant you renewed strength each day. That is our prayer for you today and every day.

    All Our Love and Prayers Are With You.

    Love In Christ,
    Margaret, Debbie, Kathy, Rosemarie, Emily and Angelica Rose

    ReplyDelete