Monday, March 12, 2007

Mon. 3-12-07

Today's Bible Reading: Deut. 20-22; Mark 13:1-20

This morning I thought I'ld put out a simple prayer request. When a person faces a disabling disease it's often difficult to see purpose or reason for it. So would you pray with me that Joyce might have peace and a sense that God is using for good all that she is suffering thru. You could also pray that I might be more enabled to minister effectively and compassionatly to her.

In our readings today I noticed an interesting verse in Deut. 20 that dealt with instructions officers in Israel's army were to give to their troops.

Deut 20:8 "The officers shall speak further to the people, and say, 'What man is there who is fearful and fainthearted? Let him go and return to his house, lest the heart of his brethren faint like his heart.'(NKJ)

I feel like we're in an intense battle which requires a right outlook and a deliberate uplook. It's easy to get discouraged and depressed given the circumstances - but I can't give in to that lest those around me 'faint like my heart'. We all need to remember Who is holding us and Who we belong to.

Again, looking at the first few verses in Ch.20, the Lord is speaking to those going into battle.

Deut 20:1 "When you go out to battle against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God is with you, who brought you up from the land of Egypt. 2 "So it shall be, when you are on the verge of battle, that the priest shall approach and speak to the people. 3 "And he shall say to them, 'Hear, O Israel: Today you are on the verge of battle with your enemies. Do not let your heart faint, do not be afraid, and do not tremble or be terrified because of them; 4 'for the LORD your God is He who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.'(NKJ)

That's my prayer today! That I might not tremble or be terrified because of the trial my wife and I are going thru. God is faithful. He cannot be unfaithful!

Press on today in faith in whatever battle you may be facing.

In His Arm's,

Pat

9 comments:

  1. Dear Pastor Pat and family,

    We will be lifting your wishes up in prayer. We also pray that His peace will fill your hearts.

    God bless you and yours,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat,
    I have been struggling to, in knowing what my role is and how to faithfully fullfill it. I am praying for you everyday, and for my friend Joyce. I am bearing you to the LORD in prayer and asking for the effectual breaking of the enemy's grip in our lives be fully recognized. We are in a war, but Christ has gotten us the victory. Teach us Lord how to take new ground for Your kingdom. Strengthen Pat Lord with might, to perservere and trust fully in You. I thank you LORD that you are mighty and sovereign and there is nothing you cannot do. Please heal your servant Joyce, in body, mind and spirit, that You may be glorified. We love you Lord, we praise Your great name.
    Pat I miss you both and pray the Lord enables us to rejoice together soon. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat & Joyce,
    We are continously at the foot of the throne lifting you both in our prayers. We love both of you so very much and we pray that our Lord, friend and Savior Jesus continue to strenghten both of you and when you are weary may He comfort you and give you peace and rest. It was wonderful hearing you this weekend (and a surprise!). Please give Joyce a big hug from me (D). Love, Curry's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat and Joyce,

    Diane and I, as well as all the saints in SEMO are praying with you this beautiful prayer:
    Eph 3:16-21
    16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
    17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
    18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
    19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
    20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
    21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. NKJV

    Also:
    2 Cor 9:8
    8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.
    (NKJ)

    We love you deeply and affectionately in Christ our Lord!

    T & D Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Pat,
    You and Joyce are continually in our prayers, the Lord reveals in His time own time why He allows things to happen...but that is not to say we just give up and stop praying. You continue to be uplifted by the saints of the Church. We love you and please do not hesitate to ask the Church for help. For years you have been serving the Church and now we want to help and serve you. Please allow us to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat and Joyce,

    We continue to lift you up in daily prayer here in St. George. Our entire body here is praying for you during this battle. We pray your requests with all our hearts, minds, souls, and strength. We cry out for peace, comfort, and strength for both of you. Blessed be the name of our Lord! With his Love, Jane and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat,
    I struggle with this, too...becoming fainthearted. I pray daily that the Lord will show me how to best encourage you and Joyce. Lord, give us ALL "a right outlook", but especially "a deliberate uplook." We love you guys so much and are continually in prayer for you both and for Noelle and Jordan.

    Karen D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too continue to identify with you on the struggle to be strong in all things thru our Lord Jesus.
    I would encourage you I hope in what the Lord showed me as I was praying for some in our home fellowship. That is this, I can't help those who are hurting if I have not felt their pain. I can not know their sorrow if I have not felt their sorrow. I can not encourage those around me if I can not show them that, I too can feel and understand completely what they are going thru. That I can trust God's reason for what we go thru because it is all according to His will. Since nothing that we go thru is done unless it is permitted by Him. I do pray that your Spirit is uplifted and that the Holy Spirit within you is regenerated, refreshed. Phil 3:3 & Phil 4:3. Rejoice IN THE LORD... Rejoice IN THE LORD ALWAYS and again I say rejoice. May you be filled with praise and worship to our Lord Jesus.
    God Bless You and Joyce with all the blessings that He has for you.
    Eph 6:10 Finally my bretheren be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Through Joyce and You and your circumstances I see God using it mightily!! The Body's FAITH is growing Because of it, We must choose blind Faith, We must choose to totaly trust God,we must have a single eye there is no other place to go.
    Now Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see!! God is in control, Thank you both so much, Dina

    ReplyDelete