Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Hope

Happy Tuesday! I'm battling thru this recovery time and the bag is still quite irritating but I've got a home health nurse coming today to check it out again and a possible visit from the wound care folks later in the week - by His strength I'm going to get a handle on this!

A few days ago, Lindsey, who is putting together a newsletter for our missionaries asked me to write a short article on the resurrection with Easter just around the corner. So I did and thought you might like to read it as well.

My Hope of the Resurrection

As Easter approaches once again, the church here and around the world gives extraordinary place to the various aspects of the resurrection from the grave of our Blessed Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. We examine the reality of the resurrection in Scripture and seek to understand its application to our journey thru the ups and downs and twists and turns of this life.

Since my beloved Joyce passed away last July, I've been thinking a lot about the resurrection and the promise of heaven secured by our Lord's sacrifice on the cross. I so long to see her again, to be soothed by her tender touch, hear her gentle voice and be warmed by her beautiful smile. I have to confess that in the first couple months after her death from cancer, I really wanted to see her more than Jesus. At times I would cry,"Lord, just take me home too so I can be with her, I don't want to face a future without her!"

Then the months pass and now, eight months later, I'm still here. I find myself still longing to see Joyce again but wondering more about heaven and, if the Lord did take me home, what my reunion with Joyce would be like. I began to realize that my desires and imaginations really needed to center back on the revealed Word.

I remember that being with the Lord is truly my blessed hope, Titus 2:13-14.

I remember that eternal life is knowing the only true God, Jesus; Jn. 17:3.

I remember that our focus throughout eternity will be the worship of Him and not those who got there before us - no matter how close we were in this life. In our earthly, limited minds we often try to picture, to grasp the infinite and we fall so short. Many who have lost loved ones, myself included, have envisioned heaven as just a beautiful continuation of their relationships here.

But scripturally we have a problem because the Bible tells us that in heaven there will be neither marriage nor giving in marriage but we'll be like angels, Mt. 12:25. We'll all be married in a sense to the Lamb of God (Rev. 19:9); we'll all be part of the "bride" of Christ. Think about it for a moment if you can.

When we are in glory everything will be perfect. The beauty, joy, intimacy and glory of being with the Lord, sinless, with all our tears wiped away is so beyond our minds to conceive! It won't be a bummer not being married to Joyce in heaven, it will be better than anything either of us ever experienced in marriage here. We'll be so at one with the Lord and that will define everything else. In fact, I believe that oneness will be shared with all believers from all ages.

Heaven will be inexhaustible when we will know even as we are known, 1 Cor 13:12. And this my hope, my certain confidence that keeps me focused and steady on this often winding road to heaven. I pray it's your hope too!

Maranatha! Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus!

In His Arm's, Pat

4 comments:

  1. To Our Beloved Pastor Pat:

    What a gift you have just shared with your flock. Enough to bring us all to our knees. You put into words what we have all felt (especially those of us who have lost loved ones). Even though it is wrong for us to want our loved ones back, we are human and we miss them so much it is absolutely unbearable in the beginning, it is just too much to grasp. It is so difficult to understand that they are no longer here on earth and they are not coming back, it is just so final. I know we wanted to see Dad again, if even for one moment, for one more hug, to tell him we loved him one more time. We know exactly how you feel. But as you said with time things fell into perspective for you. Our lives on earth, as we knew them, will never be the same. But the hope that we have in Jesus is the glue that holds us together until we do get to reunite with our loved ones but like you said mostly to be in the presence of the Lord. The promise he has given will be revealed on that day. Yes, we do have alot to look foreward to. Until then we have alot of work to do in our daily walk, we are his disciples.

    Thank you sharing a very encouraging and promising message. As always, you are in the prayers of the entire Gomez Family.

    In Christ's Love,
    The Angel Gomez Family
    Margaret, Kathy, Rosemarie, Emily and Angelica Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Pat,
    What a beautiful message! Moving really, it touched my heart this morning. As I was rolling into work today, I was remembering my Mom, Grandmother and Aunt and feeling quite lonely for them, then KA-POW, your message. What a blessing! God bless and keep up the good work, my pastor.
    Trusting in Him continually,
    Diana Curry

    P.S. I miss your Joyce as well! She was a trusted friend and confidant, I can only imagine the joy that she is exeriencing right now! I agree "Maranatha! Come soon Lord Jesus!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Pat
    Thankyou for your geniune words, God has used you to minister his truth. We pray for you often, knowing that only God will lift you up and heal your heart and body. I am reminded of Ps 107:20 He sent forth His Word and healed his people! May you continue to find His strenght when you are weak and His comfort when you are in need.
    See you soon
    Duff & Zorica & Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so very much for sharing this with us. How beautiful and right. God bless you Pastor Pat and please know that we are all still praying for you. Heal quickly!
    Love, hugs and prayers,
    The Jensen Family

    ReplyDelete