Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom

Whom the Son has set free, they are free indeed!

How grateful I am for my personal freedom as an American citizen. I can go anywhere I please, express my opinions and views without impunity (at least not yet) and I can talk about Jesus freely in the public arena. But even more than my political freedom I am overwhelmed and humbled by my spiritual freedom.

Thru Jesus sacrifice on the cross of Calvary for my sins I have been freed from the bondage of sin and death. Thru the indwelling person of the Holy Spirit I can go against the flow of my carnal nature and choose to live for God's glory. Thru the Father's love I have total access to His throne of grace and have an inheritance that will not fade away! Plus, He will never leave me or forsake me and will always be my ever present help in time of trouble.

We all have times when life is challenging to say the least, and trials seem unending, but we have to rest on the proven promises of God and His faithfulness.

As most of you know, tomorrow it will be one year since the Lord took Joyce home to begin her eternity with her Savior in heaven. I'm sure the suffering of this present time that she endured for a while is nothing compared to the glory that is being revealed to her in ways beyond what we could ever imagine. Joyce is experience the fulfillment of God's faithfulness right now! There is no question or doubt in her mind that God is faithful and does all things well!

I, on the other hand, still have to trust what I often cannot see. The suffering of the present time seems often to fill my field of vision so I can't see beyond it. That's where the promises and truth and power and authority of God's Word comes in. When I'm looking to the wisdom and counsel of His Word, there is a sort of pulling back from what's blocking my vision. Then I am able to catch a glimpse of the majesty beyond the clouds of suffering or grief or sickness or loneliness or whatever might be hindering my faith at any given moment :-)

And that is really true freedom. Have a blessed holiday. Thanks for keeping us in prayer this weekend too!

In His Arm's,

Pat


1 comment:

  1. Dear Pat, Yes, we would lose heart if we did not see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Keep looking for the glimpses of His Hand and you will see them. And His grace truly is sufficient, if we rely on Him. I am so thankful that you know Him, personally. Otherwise, we might be tempted to spiral down into the abyss. Jesus loves you so much, Pat, and I know He will continue to carry you through. Love in Him, Rachel Asman

    ReplyDelete