Sunday, May 29, 2011

April/ May update

It's been a pretty crazy season (what else is new) :-) My new bride has been snatched away by the US Navy now for 117 days with 100 more to go. Please continue to pray for her and I as we deal with this long separation. I was blessed to be able to visit with her a few days earlier this month as her ship was ported in Phuket, Thailand - we had a wonderful time together. It was not a planned stop and I found out about 3 days after I returned from 2 weeks in the Philippines that she would be there May 1st - our one year anniversary thru May4! So I got home from the PI April 12th, taught at Horizon Park Chapel on the 17th, then all the Easter activities the following week, flew to Albuquerque for a couple of days of meetings with the Shepherd's Staff board Apr. 25-26, and 3 days later began a bunch of flights back across the Pacific to Thailand. I got home the evening of May 5 and am finally recovered from not only travel but medical stuff too. While I was in the Philippines a nasty amoeba parasite decided to hitch a ride on my innards and about killed me. I never felt that sick. I was in a Filippino hospital for 4 days, but God used it to bring me close to several Shepherd's Staff missionaries serving ail over the Philippines.

The bug was dead but my system still hadn't quite recovered before I was across the ocean again. On my way home from Thailand I got hit with a bad chest cold and that, coupled with jet lag put me out for several days. Thankfully the body still heals :-)

I know many were praying for me and I honestly believe I couldn't have made it without those prayers. I know there was an element of spiritual warfare going on and you guys, alongs with many others, helped sustain me thru it. That Philippines trip - tho I was ill for half of it - had to be the best visit I ever had to the PI - and I've been there many times over that last 20 years. The depth of fellowship I had with folks I knew and many more I had never meet was so sweet. I think there is a deeper bond of intimacy that develops during times of suffering and helplessness.

While I was hospitalized I had a team of "bantays" (meaning, watchers) with me 24/7. Among them were all the missionaries I really hoped to spend time with during the Pastor's Conference (which I was supposed to teach at and missed the entire thing). I wanted to go to them and bring them encouragement - but God had it work the other way around - and in the end - koinonia - sweet communion - constant prayer!


The summer ahead also looks like it's going to pretty full. We are continuing to grow at Shepherd's Staff, serving close to 160 missionary families - of which 80 are my responsibility, being sent out from West Coast churches. I hope to be visiting many of those churches and meet face to face with the pastor and the team that is supporting their missionary. Missionary care is our developing focus and we can't do that effectively without the sending church being on board. You'd be surprised how many churches really don't have a clue about the needs of their missionary, much less a plan to meet those needs. And that's where we can help - so pray for open doors this summer.

Finally, one last word of thanks to each of you for praying and caring about the new things God is doing in my changing life and ministries.
I love you all and pray for God's best for you too. Press in closer to Him! And press on faithfully in all He has called you to do - for His Glory.

In His arm's,

Pat

Western Regional Mission's Pastor
Shepherd's Staff Mission Facilitator's

http://www.shepsstaff.org/kenney.aspx
http://www.poimenministries.com
http://escorev.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment